Don't forget to Pin It!

facebook

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Books





I love to read. It never used to be that way. Does anyone else remember Book It?

I do.

It ruined reading for me. Fourth grade was a very traumatic time in my life, as far as books were concerned. I refused to do Book It.... until I was threatened to be held back. I read the books, I just wouldn't write the reports. I still don't like to tell people how books end. Why should I? If you want to know, read it yourself. I won't spoil it for you.



Then we would get those Scholastic Books order forms, and everyone else excitedly poured through the choices. Except me. I refused.



Until I spotted it. The book club that changed my life.

The Babysitters Club monthly book club.

OMG. I had to have it. I think my parents were at the point that if any book would excite me, they'd do what they had to do to get it for me. And I wanted to be in that club. I wanted that weekly dry/erase calender you got when you joined. I still have it, too.



See? Told ya.

I've grown since then. I ended up reading nearly 200 BSC books that year (got 4 in a package every month, on a Friday, that lasted me until Sunday) and ventured into other books. I got my read on, that's for sure.

Having small children means I mostly read Dr. Seuss and 5 Little Monkeys. And a 4 paged crinkly book about a cat wanting to play with a shape. It's riveting, I promise. So when I get some time to read a book, real books, I don't waste it. And I devour the books. And I guess now, I'm going to tell you what they were for me this weekend.


(Just a small sample of the collection)

Wednesday, I read Pumpkin's 9 year old best friend's book, "American Girl: Caroline". What can I say? I'm still a 4th grader at heart. It was the best 80ish some pages of easy reading I've read in a lot time. I felt like a little girl all over again, though. It was great.

(Order it here)

Thursday - Friday, I finished "Someday, Someday, Maybe" by Lauren Graham. I started it the Saturday before, but didn't get much done. Most of the reading happened Friday with a little bit thrown in throughout the week. So good peoples! I was giggling before I was done with the first page. It's exactly a comedy book. It's just so... true. Easy to believe in. And it's based in 1995, so you know the time frame and feels familiar. Like this girl could be you. The only bad thing I can come up with is that it just ends. I really wanted more. I'm definitely hoping for a continuation. I miss Dan. (I told you I wasn't going to tell you about the book, so read it if you want to miss Dan, too.)


(I borrowed mine from the library, but here's Amazon's link to it)

Friday, I read "True" by Hilary Duff. Seriously. I read it Friday. And for about 15 minutes of Saturday. Like til 12:15 a.m. It's the last book of her trilogy, So if you read the first 2, you're probably going to read this one. The first one is called "Elixir". It's such a pretty book. Really, the cover is beautiful. I read it twice. I "Oh no!"ed loudly at the end of "Devoted". And as soon as I knew when "True" was coming out, I added myself to the wait list at the library. It's a paranormal romance thriller, I think. It's not like "Twilight" at all. Just read it if you like anything at all close to what I just described.



See the book on the bottom of the pile? "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. I started that months ago. I didn't lose interest in it, just never could find the time to read it. The book stars were just not aligning right for me, I guess. I'm on page 31. And have been for months now. Just was able to renew, so when I'm done, I'll let you know.


(To buy it here....)

Someday, someday, maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment