Don't forget to Pin It!

facebook

Monday, October 28, 2013

Books Vs. Movies

Ok. Here's the deal. I'm reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I'm not totally enthralled by the book, but the characters stick. And they stick hard. It's a slower read for me, but I can't get them out of my head.


And on that note, we took the girls to Barnes and Noble Friday to let Pumpkin pick out her birthday book. (She gets most of our gifts post birthday) On display, was "The Book Thief" with about 3 different covers.

Three.

For the same book.

Why is that necessary?

Oh, because they've turned it into a movie.

Why do they do this? I'm seriously confused as to why nearly every movie out there was once a book before. Is the film industry really that desperate? I enjoy using my imagination. I enjoy picturing the story; being apart of it. And I'll admit, most book to movies franchises I've taken apart of and handed over my money (ahem "Harry Potter" to name one).. but I want something original.

And even though I had no intentions of watching the film version of this book, unless it ends up on Netflix and I have nothing else to catch up on, I'm disappointed that now my version of Liesel doesn't look like the girl on the newest cover. Can they at least leave the covers alone?
(Picture from Amazon. Order the Kindle version here.)
I know I'm not the first to say any of this, and probably won't be the last. And as long as we all pay to see the movies in some form, they'll keep making them. But, seriously, leave the books alone for those of us that don't actually see every single movie that comes out.

Rant over.

What's your favorite or least favorite book-to-movie adaptation? Leave it in the comments so I can feel like I'm not alone here!

1 comment: